Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Quick Californian Seafood Stew [paleo/primal, gluten-free, dairy-free]

Today for lunch, I needed something quick but wanted a look-like full dish rather than a grab-and-go. So I know seafood thawed quickest. Looked at the vegetable drawer... I needed to use up a couple-week-old parsnip... and soup sounded good to me. Here is I came up with. It was only 15 minutes to cook other than a five minutes to chop things up and thaw the sea food.

Ingredients:

1 cup wild & sustainable seafood (or just shrimps or fish or anything)
1 cup of small-cube chopped vegetable (I used parsnip this time. it could be something that make nice broth like cauliflower, celery, or you can use broccoli stems)
1 cup of water (or seafood broth)
1-2 cloves garlic or garlic powder
1 shallots
1 Tablespoon (Red Boat or real and pure extract) fish sauce (Optional if don't use seafood stock or just all sea salt)
2 Tomatoes chopped in cubes (separate half for garnish)
1/2 avocado cubed
1/8 cup cilantro / coriander (I like to chop the stem and put in the broth while cooking. leave the leaves to garnish)
Sea salt to taste
1 small lime or to taste
1 teaspoon red crushed pepper or to your preference


Instructions:

1. Bring water or broth to boil.
2. Smash garlic and shallot and put in the boiling liquid.
3. Add sea salt or fish sauce or both.
4. Put in vegetable of your choice until it soften (about 10 minutes or longer depending on kinds of vegetables). Then use spoon or ladle to roughly smash the vegetable to make the soup thicken or hearty.
5. Put in tomatoes
6. After a few minute put in seafood. When it's cooked (do not over cook), turn off the stove and taste the soup. Add sea salt if you need to. Then squeeze lime in to your taste.
7. pour the soup in a bowl and garnish with cubed avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, and red crushed pepper.
8. Enjoy!



If you know me... I don’t cook with exact recipes... I cook what I have, local, seasonal... so keep your pantry clean :)

No comments:

Post a Comment